The principal purpose of the Health Care Standards Directorate is to achieve improvement in the Quality of Care and ensure Patient Safety.
The Health Care Standards Directorate embraces the following vision, mission principles and values:
VISION: To use the regulatory role to safeguard Public Health / Inspire excellence in Healthcare.
MISSION: To convert the Licensing / Regulatory function into a tool / a means to provide the general public
with safe high quality health care / services.
- To formulate and recommend national standards for hospital services, homes for older persons and community care by the active participation of the relevant stakeholders and interested parties.
- To promote a quality and patient safety culture within public and private service providers.
- To regulate the use of human blood and blood components, tissues and cells and organs in terms of the relevant legislation.
- To inspect and license hospital services, clinics, community and primary care services and homes for older persons.
- To monitor hospital and medical services clinical performance and outcome indicators as part of the health care licensing, and regulatory mechanisms.
- To engage in local and international research and projects in relation to the development of quality initiatives for health care services in Malta.
- To enforce health care laws and regulation through advice, education, persuasion and legal action if necessary
PRINCIPLES: keeping people safe, promoting dignity and choice and finally but not least support independence
VALUES: being people centered, transparent and accessible and finally be rigorous and fair, and actively involved to change for the better.
AREAS OF REMIT